Friday, June 3, 2011

heart all flutter

Asa's surgery is Monday and I've been feeling very calm and sort of enthusiastic about it up until about 15 minutes ago. A sudden flurry of activity surrounding the surgery has got me all wound-up. I did the pre-registration form on-line this morning and then received a call from the nurse going over the pre-op details regarding food (withholding of food) and what to bring along and that left me feeling good. I felt more prepared and ready to go. And then I get a call saying that our pre-op form hasn't been received yet.

Surgery can't go forward without that form. It's 2 o'clock on a Friday afternoon. Surgery is scheduled for 7:30am on Monday morning.  What if I can't track the doctor down? What if the form is missing? What if we have to go in for another pre-op visit? What if they don't have any openings? What if we have to postpone the surgery?  As I've done so many times in the past, I'm "what if'ing" myself silly.

A call to the doctor, a back-and-forth, a dropped call (damn you AT&T), a frantic redial, a missed call, on-hold, call waiting, click over ... a wonderful, helpful, dedicated pediatric nurse has star-69'd me after the initial dropped call! We've sorted it out, the fax is being retransmitted, this time to me so I can deal with the back-and-forth double-checking that the fax has been successfully received by the surgeon.

A call to the surgeons office to confirm the fax number and bingo-bango, the fax is sent. A few minutes pause to breathe and sigh in relief that my job is done and then a call to confirm receipt. Failure. No fax has been received. Double check the fax number, re-send, wait ... (are you as stressed reading this as I am living it??) ... Call to check receipt, holding, holding, holding ... Success!!

And a new mom breathes a sigh of relief. Now let's get to 8am Monday morning when little dude should be waking up and looking at us through groggy little eyes with brand new ear tubes and ears free of pus and then, then, I will truly relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment