Friday, June 10, 2011

running not walking

Okay, so Asa isn't officially walking yet but he sure is trying. He's got a little push-car that he can either sit down and ride around the house or he can stand up and push while he walks along behind or beside it. His new favorite activity seems to be to pushing it around the house until he crashes into a wall or piece of furniture and gets stuck.

The thing is, after a day or so of walking a few careful steps with it he has now decided that running behind it is the thing to do. All of a sudden that kid was tearing around the house at a pace that just shocked Jeff and me. I mean, he's running. Not walking. Running.

Of course, take away the push-car and he's just standing there so I can't say he's a bi-ped yet but he's got the idea in his head. You can see his little brain working on it while he stands there. He'll bend his knee and the heel of his foot will come off the floor just a bit, as if he's about to take a step forward and then he'll change his mind and just sit his little bootie right down on the floor.

It's adorable and sweet and it's making me increasingly worried that his first step will happen when I'm not looking. I'm nervous to leave him at daycare for the seven hour stretch he's there for fear the older kids will inspire him just enough to get those little feet moving. I don't want to shower until he's gone to bed so I can be sure I'm not lathering up while he's downstairs giving Jeff a great show of his first steps. It's going to be such a huge moment ... But I have a feeling that even if I do miss those first steps, I'll be so amazed at watching him walk over the coming weeks that I'll get over it pretty quickly.

I know I'm biased but I have to say, every day Asa amazes me with how quickly he picks things up. He's a smartie, a sweetie and snugly little guy and I'm so glad he's mine! I'll get a video up of his current push-car walking so you can see what the little guy is up to first hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment