Thursday, April 14, 2011

9 out of 10 opinions are wrong

Jeff told me that a couple of weeks ago and frankly it's as true today as it was then. Everyone has got an opinion and strangely, I seem to be pretty much the only person with the correct opinion. Shocking, isn't it?

I know what you're thinking: But Anna, how can you be sure your opinion is the 1 in 10 that is right? Well, for one thing I have this weird feeling in my gut that tells me I'm smarter than most people. For another thing, people often tell me how wise I am (okay they mostly just say it with their eyes - that's what it means when people roll their eyes at you, right?).

Mostly though the way I know I can trust my own opinion to be the right one is when it comes to my son. As I've mentioned in a previous blog, people try to advise me on raising Asa and I smile and nod, but really in my head I'm thinking "You haven't got a clue".  I hear ideas on getting Asa to sleep through the night (last time I checked I'm not really complaining about his sleep habits). Ideas on when and how to potty train, how not to spoil him, how to stop him from biting me (I have solicited advice on this and have yet to hear an answer that I intend to implement), why I shouldn't respond to his fake cries, why I shouldn't respond to his real cries at night, how often to bathe him, when to cut his hair ... Blah blah blah.

Pretty much the only opinion I habitually solicit is that of my daycare provider, Zory, and her daughters Mara and AnMary. They know my baby (and this makes me a little sad to be honest) as well as Jeff and I do, plus they must have raised at least 10 kids between all the tiny clients they've taken care of over the years. I guess if Michelle Duggar lived by I might ask her opinion too, but I definitely don't think I'd ever ask Jon or Kate Gosselin.  My point is, everyone has got an opinion, most of them I haven't asked for but all of which I will listen to and take under advisement and eventually determine that Jeff is right, 9 out of 10 opinions are wrong ... Is that irony? I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment